Once you have a good idea of the type of car you’re after, you can start searching. Use the left-hand grey search box to select your preferences. You can choose between all cars or just electric, and refine your search by choosing:
- Make, model, body style, safety rating, type, transmission (manual or automatic) and two or four-wheel drive.
- Your price range, odometer, year and number of seats.
- Your preferred region or you can search for New Zealand wide (you can get cars transported to where you live).
- Keywords you might want to add such as your preferred colour or New Zealand new.
You may not know all of these things to start with, and they’re all optional, so have a play around with what you may want.
Advanced Car Search
The Advanced Car Search enables you to narrow down your search, even more, allowing you to filter by:
- Seller type (all listings, or either private or dealer listings).
- Engine size.
- Number of doors
Sorting and filtering your results
Once your search results come up, you can sort by price, the age of car, kilometres, when listings close or alphabetically by using the drop-down menu at the top of the search results. You can also filter by auctions, classifieds or Buy Now.
Finally, you can select to only view cars which have a Background Check. A Background Check displays information from government and private databases about whether a car has been reported stolen
, is a damaged import, or has been re-registered. For more information about each of the checks included, see definitions
Save your search
To make sure you don’t miss a newly listed car that meets your criteria, you can save your preferred search options by clicking on the button at the top of the search results.
Once you have saved a search, you can choose how frequently you want to be alerted about new listings by going to ‘My Trade Me’ at the top of the page, and choosing ‘Favourites’. Use the drop-down menu to the right of each of your saved searches to choose a frequency that suits you.